Q. I would like to Backup all directories in /home to /dev/st0 tape drive. How do I use script to automate task and what commands do I need to use?
A. Use tar command to backup /home directory. The GNU version of the tar archiving utility included with all Linux distributions. Following tar command also works with Solaris/HP-UX UNIX and FreeBSD/*BSD oses.
For example tar command to backup /home should be as follows:
# tar -czf /dev/st0 /home
- /dev/st0 : Linux SCSI Tape device name
- /home : Home directory name
This will also backup hidden files and directories. Since this topic is already covered, please refer scripts and previous posts:
- Linux tape backup with mt and tar command - howto
- Howto: Use tar command through network over ssh session
- Shell script to backup directories & files from your home directory and email them as .tar.gz file
- Backup shell script to backup selected directories and upload securely (gpg) to FTP server