- shutdown command - Bring the system/server down in a safe way.
- halt or poweroff command - These programs allow a system administrator to halt or poweroff the system.
- telinit command - Change system runlevel to zero (0) i.e. shutdown the system.
RHEL/CentOS/Red Hat server poweroff command syntax
You can use any one of the following command and the basic syntax is:
shutdown -h now
shutdown -h 0
Exact procedure and command to shut down a Red Hat (RHEL)/CentOS Linux system
Open the Terminal or login to the remote server over the ssh. Type the following command as root user to shutdown server immediately without any warning to the users:
# shutdown -h now
However, on busy system, you may want send a message to everybody’s terminal using the wall command as follows:
# wall "Server is shutting down in 10 minutes. Please save all work."
# shutdown -h +10
OR use the shutdown command as follows to send a message:
# shutdown -h +5 "System RAM upgraded scheduled at 6:30pm IST. Save all your work as system going to shutdown in 5 minutes."
Broadcast message from email@example.com (/dev/pts/0) at 4:38 ... The system is going down for halt in 5 minutes! System RAM upgraded scheduled at 6:30pm IST. Save all your work as system going to shutdown in 5 minutes.
- HowTo: Shutdown Linux System
- See how to use the last command to view a log of all reboots and shutdown times on Linux server.
- Man pages: shutdown(8), poweroff(8), telinit(8)
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop