How do I install libdvdcss2 which is part of the VideoLAN project to play DVDs under Debian Linux 6 (squeeze) operating system?
libdvdcss or libdvdcss2 is a free and open source software library for accessing and unscrambling DVDs encrypted with the Content Scramble System (CSS).
It is part of the VideoLAN project and is used by VLC media player and other DVD player software such as Ogle, xine-based players, MPlayer, and so on under Linux an Unix like operating systems.
Turn on deb-multimedia repo
The sources.list file contains package resource list for apt. Edit /etc/apt/sources.list file, enter:
# vi /etc/apt/sources.list
Append the following directives:
deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org squeeze main non-free
Save and close the file. Rsynchronize the package index files from their sources, run:
# apt-get update
Type the following command:
# apt-get install libdvdcss2
Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done The following NEW packages will be installed: libdvdcss2 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 12 not upgraded. Need to get 37.1 kB of archives. After this operation, 106 kB of additional disk space will be used. Get:1 http://www.deb-multimedia.org/ squeeze/main libdvdcss2 amd64 1.2.10-0.3 [37.1 kB] Fetched 37.1 kB in 1s (22.8 kB/s) Selecting previously deselected package libdvdcss2. (Reading database ... 267066 files and directories currently installed.) Unpacking libdvdcss2 (from .../libdvdcss2_1.2.10-0.3_amd64.deb) ... Setting up libdvdcss2 (1.2.10-0.3) ...
Now you can play DVDs with VLC or any other media player under Debian Linux 6.x. In this example, use lsdvd to list all titles / chapter from /dev/dvd:
To play track # 3 from DVD, enter:
$ mplayer dvd://3 -dvd-device /dev/dvd
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop