I'm trying to install mysql-server package under Debian using the following command:
apt-get install mysql-server-5.0 mysql-common
But I'm getting an error which read as follows:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
libdevel-symdump-perl liburi-perl libhtml-parser-perl libapr1 libhtml-tree-perl libpq5 libhtml-tagset-perl libwww-perl
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following extra packages will be installed:
libdbd-mysql-perl libmysqlclient15off mysql-client-5.0
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libdbd-mysql-perl libmysqlclient15off mysql-client-5.0 mysql-common mysql-server-5.0
0 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
E: Archive directory /var/cache/apt/archives/partial is missing.
How do I fix the problem?
This problem occurs when you try to free disk space by deleting the downloaded *.deb files from /var/cache/apt/archives/ directory. You can fix this problem simply by creating directories as follows. Login as root user and type the following command:
# mkdir -p /var/cache/apt/archives/partial
# apt-get autoclean
Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done
The last command clears out the local repository of retrieved package files. This allows a cache to be maintained over a long period without it growing out of control i.e. disk space issues. Do not delete files or subdirs from the /var/cache/apt/ using the rm command or rmdir command. Now you can install the required packages.
# apt-get install mysql-server-5.0 mysql-common
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop