Q. How do I know what packages are available to be updated on my Debian / Ubuntu Linux system?
A. You can use standard command line utility called apt-get or GUI tool called Synaptic Update-Manager.
List all packages which could be updated
To list outdated package use apt-get command has following two options:
=> -u : Show upgraded packages; Print out a list of all packages that are to be upgraded.
=> upgrade : It is used to install the newest versions of all packages currently installed on the system
Type the following command at shell prompt:
$ sudo apt-get upgrade
$ sudo apt-get -i upgrade
Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree... Done The following packages will be upgraded: debconf debconf-i18n e2fslibs e2fsprogs file findutils klibc-utils libblkid1 libc6 libc6-i686 libcomerr2 libklibc libkrb53 libmagic1 libpam-modules libpam-runtime libpam0g libss2 libssl0.9.8 libuuid1 linux-image-2.6-686 linux-image-2.6.18-5-686 locales perl perl-base perl-modules tar tzdata 28 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded. Need to get 39.6MB of archives. After unpacking 148kB of additional disk space will be used. Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
To updated just say yes to prompt - "Do you want to continue". Alternatively, you can type the following command:
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade
Synaptic GUI Package Update Notifier
Synaptic works hand-in-hand with Update-Manager to inform you about updates to the software installed on your system. If software or security updates are available, Update-Manager will display a pop-up message and an icon in the notification area on your GNOME desktop. To update your system, click on the notification icon, enter your password and click OK.
(Fig. 01: Synaptic GUI Package Update Notifier [ Image credit Ubuntu Project] )
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop