Q. Sorry for a noob question - Does the UNIX or Linux system has GUI? Can I see screen shot of UNIX/Linux GUI?
A. Short answer: Yes.
Both Linux and UNIX have GUI system. Depend upon your level of expertise you can select GUI system:
Every Windows or Mac system has a standard file manager, utilities and text editor and help system. Similarly these days KDE and Gnome desktop manger are pretty standard on all UNIX platforms. X, Motif, CDE etc are old system and used by HP-UX, Solaris and other systems in the past.
Please note that It in UNIX the GUI is separate from the operating system itself. You can uninstall the GUI and still have a completely working UNIX system.
X Windows system
The X Window System is the underlying graphics system on all modern UNIX systems. X provides the facilities accept input from a mouse and keyboard, and the ability to draw graphical objects to a computer screen. So we use window manager like KDE or Gnome. You can easily find more options for a window manager which defines look and feel of an X-based Graphical User Interface.
Following are most commonly used Windows Manager on UNIX and Linux:
- Motif Window Manager
Please note that both KDE and Gnome are more powerful and complete system for an easy-to-use desktop environment. Both includes:
- Office and productivity applications
- Internet browsing and email software
- Image viewer and editing tool
- File managers
- System tools
- Development / programming editors and tools
- Multimedia softwares and much more
Preview Linux/UNIX GUI
Live CD is a generic term for an operating system distribution that is executed upon boot, without installation on a hard drive. Typically, it is stored on bootable media such as a CD-ROM or DVD or USB pen.
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop