Q. How do I ignore hidden .dot files while searching for files? How do I ignore or exclude certain files while running Linux / UNIX find command?
A. Find command support standard UNIX regex to match or exclude files. You can write complex queries easily with regex.
Find command and logical operators
Find any file whose name ends with either 'c' or 'asm', enter:
$ find . -type f \( -iname "*.c" -or -iname "*.asm" \)
The parentheses must be escaped with a backslash, "\(" and "\)", to prevent them from being interpreted as special shell characters. The -type f option force to only search files and not directories. The or operator either find .c or .asm file.
Understanding find command operators
Operators build a complex expression from tests and actions. The operators are, in order of decreasing precedence:
|( expr )||Force precedence. True if expr is true|
|True if expr is false. In some shells, it is necessary to protect the ‘!’ from shell interpretation by quoting it.|
|expr1 -and expr2||And; expr2 is not evaluated if expr1 is false.|
|expr1 -or expr2||Or; expr2 is not evaluated if expr1 is true.|
How do I ignore hidden .dot files while searching for files?
Find *.txt file but ignore hidden .txt file such as .vimrc or .data.txt file:
$ find . -type f \( -iname "*.txt" ! -iname ".*" \)
Find all .dot files but ignore .htaccess file:
$ find . -type f \( -iname ".*" ! -iname ".htaccess" \)
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop