Q. How do I install Nginix websever under FreeBSD operating systems?
A. nginx [engine x] is a HTTP server, reverse proxy and mail proxy server written by Igor Sysoev. It is a lightweight web server, licensed under a BSD-like license. It the fifth most popular web server.
Update FreeBSD Ports Tree
Type the following command to update FreeBSD tree, enter:
# portsnap fetch update
FreeBSD Install Nginx Web Server
Type the following command to install Nginx web server:
# cd /usr/ports/www/nginx
# make install clean
Make sure you select important option such as REWRITE_MODULE, SSL_MODULE and others as per your requirements.
Turn on Nginx Webserver
Type the following command to turn on Nginx server
echo 'nginx_enable="YES"' >> /etc/rc.conf
To start Nginx, enter:
# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/nginx start
Important Information about Nginx Webserver
- Nginx Default configuration file: /usr/local/etc/nginx/nginx.conf
- Nginx Default http / https port: 80 / 443
- Nginx Default error log file: /var/log/nginx-error.log
- Nginx Default access log file: /var/log/nginx-access.log
- Nginx Default DocumentRoot: /usr/local/www/nginx/