How do I install VMWare tools under FreeBSD guest operating systems?
VMware Tools is a suite of utilities that enhances the performance of the virtual machine's guest operating system and improves management of the virtual machine. Although the guest operating system can run without VMware Tools, you lose important functionality.
Step #1: Download and/or Update VMWARE Tools
To grab all software components to the host click on
Edit > Preferences > Select the Updates tab and click Download All Components Now to start the download.
Step #2: Install VMware Tools in a FreeBSD Guest
Make sure the guest operating system is running in text mode as you cannot install VMware Tools while X (GUI or window manager) is running. Now, select VM > Install VMware Tools from host operating system.
Please note that if an earlier version of VMware Tools is installed, the menu item is Update VMware Tools. If the current version is installed, the menu item is Reinstall VMware Tools.
On the FreeBSD guest, log in as root. You need to switch to the root user by typing su - and entering the root password, when prompted:
$ su -
Next mount CD-ROM, enter:
# mount /cdrom
Untar the VMware Tools tar file, enter:
# tar zxpf /cdrom/vmware-freebsd-tools.tar.gz -C /tmp
Finally, run the VMware Tools installer, enter:
# cd /tmp/vmware-tools-distrib
Unmount /cdrom, enter:
# umount /cdrom
Run the following command to configure VMWARE Tools, enter:
OR run the following during X session
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop