Applying security patches and updating system apps is an important part of maintaining the Gentoo operating system. You need to use emerge command. It is very important to have up to date system backup before you do this. Backup all your database and files in $HOME, /etc/ and more.
Update your entire Gentoo Linux system
Type the following command to update the portage tree:
# emerge --sync
To update your entire system including dependencies, enter:
# emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y @world
You may need to restart services such as MySQL and Apache if updated by emerge tool. I also recommened that you schedule time to upgrade the system and reboot the Linux server to verify that everything is working correctly.
- See emerge package manager documentation for more information.
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop