Problem is that every time I click something I get annoying sound from computer speaker. So I tried to disable or set new sound theme by visiting System > Preferences > Sound. The Sound Theme tab is greyed out. Sound itself is not working and I can only get annoying sound. How do I fix this problem under Debian or Ubuntu Linux gnome desktop system?
The GNOME Volume Control application is an audio mixer that enables you to mix audio for two-channel sound cards. It may be disabled if you removed or did not installed freedesktop-sound-theme package:
To fix this problem open a terminal and type the following command:
$ sudo apt-get install freedesktop-sound-theme
Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done The following extra packages will be installed: gnome-session-canberra The following NEW packages will be installed: freedesktop-sound-theme gnome-session-canberra 0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded. Need to get 0 B/307 kB of archives. After this operation, 516 kB of additional disk space will be used. Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y Selecting previously deselected package freedesktop-sound-theme. (Reading database ... 110172 files and directories currently installed.) Unpacking freedesktop-sound-theme (from .../freedesktop-sound-theme_0.7.dfsg-1_amd64.deb) ... Selecting previously deselected package gnome-session-canberra. Unpacking gnome-session-canberra (from .../gnome-session-canberra_0.24-1_all.deb) ... Setting up freedesktop-sound-theme (0.7.dfsg-1) ... Setting up gnome-session-canberra (0.24-1) ...
Now you can disable or set themes as per your requirements.TwitterFacebookGoogle+PDF versionFound an error/typo on this page? Help us!
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop