Q. I am going to sell my laptop soon. Before discarding my system, I want to make sure that no one should able to use my personal data using any method (format do not work). Is there any open source software out there that can help me permanently erase my hard disk?
A. For erasing hard disk permanently, you can use standard dd command. But I recommend using shred command.
Erase disk permanently under Linux
Step # 1: First, download knoppix Live CD.
Step #2 : Boot from CD.
Step #3: How do I use shred command?
Shred originally designed to delete file securely. It deletes a file securely, first overwriting it to hide its contents. However same can be used to erase hard disk. For example your hard disk name is /dev/sda (SCSI hard disk) then type following command:
# shred -n 5 -vz /dev/sda
- -n 5: Overwrite 5 times instead of the default (25 times)
- -v : Show progress
- -z : Add a final overwrite with zeros to hide shredding
Command is same for IDE hard disk hda (PC/Windows first hard disk connected to IDE) :
# shred -n 5 -vz /dev/hda
Other options or Live CDs
Darik's Boot and Nuke CD is highly recommended for permanently erasing hard disk
Darik's Boot and Nuke ("DBAN") is a self-contained boot floppy (CD ISO also available) that securely wipes the hard disks of most computers. DBAN will automatically and completely delete the contents of any hard disk that it can detect, which makes it an appropriate utility for bulk or emergency data destruction.
DBAN works with MAC, PC (windows XP) and Linux system. Once you used shred or DBAN cd you can sell laptop :)
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop