Q. I have latest version of Ubuntu Linux. How do I update Ubuntu Linux for security and application fix or upgrades?
A. Ubuntu Linux can be upgraded using GUI tools or using traditional command line tools.
Using apt-get command line tool
apt-get is the command-line tool for handling packages. You can use following command options:
=> apt-get update : Update is used to resynchronize the package index files from their sources via Internet.
=> apt-get upgrade : Upgrade is used to install the newest versions of all packages currently installed on the system
=> apt-get install package-name : install is followed by one or more packages desired for installation. If package is already installed it will try to update to latest version.
a) Open terminal and type following two commands (Application > Accessories > Terminal):
b) Get update software list, enter:
$ sudo apt-get update
c) Update software(s) i.e. apply updates:
$ sudo apt-get upgrade
d) Please note that above two command will fetch files from Internet. The location of update pages is specified in /etc/apt/sources.list (repositories). You need NOT to make any changes to this file until and unless you need extra repositories for your setup.
e) To upgrade individual software called foo type command:
$ sudo apt-get install foo
Using Ubuntu Update Manager tool
This is GUI tool. It works like Microsoft /Red Hat update manager i.e. you will see a little icon in the kicker bar/taskbar when there are updates. It will only appear when new upgrades are available. All you have to do is click on it and follow the online instructions.
You can also star GUI tool by Clicking System > Administration > Update Manager
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop