Q. I have downloaded firefox file from mozilla web site to my Linux desktop system. The name of file is firefox-2.0.tar.gz. How do I install firefox-2.0.tar.gz in Fedora Core Linux? Please provide me step by step instructions for the same. What about my old bookmarks and add-ons. I am going to lose them?
A. Update: FireFox version 3.0 has been released and it is recommended that you install Firefox 3.0 under any Linux distribution.
Mozilla Firefox is a free, open source, cross-platform graphical web browser developed by the Mozilla Corporation and hundreds of volunteers. Installing Firefox 2 will overwrite your existing installation of Firefox. You won't lose any of your bookmarks or browsing history, but some of your extensions and other add-ons might not work until updates for them are made available.
Installing firefox on Linux
Just use following instructions to download and install Firefox.
Download firefox to your Linux desktop
=> Visit this site to download firefox
Firefox 2.0 installation - Just untar file and install it
Let us say you would like to install firefox in your own home directory called /home/tom/firefox
$ mkdir /home/tom/firefox
$ cd /home/tom/firefox
Copy your files to /home/tom/firefox and untar it:
$ cp /home/tom/Desktop/firefox-184.108.40.206.tar.gz .
$ tar -zxvf firefox-220.127.116.11.tar.gz
And you are done. Start firefox:
$ /home/tom/firefox/firefox &
How do I install firefox for everyone?
Install Firefox in /opt directory. Login as root user:
# cd /opt
# mkdir firefox
# cd firefox
# cp /home/tom/Desktop/firefox-18.104.22.168.tar.gz .
# tar -zxvf firefox-22.214.171.124.tar.gz
To start firefox:
$ /opt/firefox/firefox &
You can also create a shortcut from your own desktop :)
What about my bookmarks and browsing history - Am I going to lose them?
You won't lose any of your bookmarks or browsing history, but some of your extensions and other add-ons might not work until updates for them are made available.TwitterFacebookGoogle+PDF versionFound an error/typo on this page? Help us!
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop