How do I install ssh under Linux operating systems?
Linux operating system comes with OpenSSH client and server as follows from OpenBSD project:
[a] ssh - SSH client act as remote login program.
[b] sshd - SSH server (Daemon) act as server which provide secure encrypted communications between two untrusted hosts over an insecure network. sshd listens for connections from clients (default ssh tcp port # 22). It is normally started at boot from /etc/init.d/ssh or /etc/init.d/sshd script. It forks a new daemon for each incoming connection. The forked daemons handle key exchange, encryption, authentication, command execution, and data exchange.
How do I install ssh under RHEL / SL (Scientific Linux) / CentOS / Fedora Linux?
Type the following yum command to install ssh client and server:
# yum -y install openssh-server openssh-clients
Start and enable sshd server:
# chkconfig sshd on
# service sshd start
Open port 22 for all IP address, enter:
# /sbin/iptable -A INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
# service iptables save
You can set an appropriate network block/mask, representing the machines on your network which must be allowed to access this SSH server. In this example open port 22 to only subnet 192.168.1.0/24:
# /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -s 192.168.1.0/24 -m state --state NEW -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
# service iptables save
To configure OpenSSH server edit /etc/ssh/sshd config file. Please go though these recommendations to improve security of SSHD server. You can also go through sshd_config(5) man page for more detailed information:
$ man 5 sshd_config
How do I install ssh under Ubuntu / Debian Linux?
See our "Debian Linux Install OpenSSH SSHD Server" article for more information.TwitterFacebookGoogle+PDF versionFound an error/typo on this page? Help us!
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop