Reverse DNS lookup (also known as rDNS) is a process to determine the hostname associated with a given IP address.
Typically, the DNS is used to determine what IP address is associated with a given hostname; so to reverse resolve a known IP address is to lookup what the associated hostname for it. A reverse lookup is often referred to simply as reverse resolving, or more specifically reverse DNS lookups.
- Network troubleshooting
- Avoid spammers and phishers using a forward confirmed reverse DNS etc
Task: Find Reverse DNS for IP 18.104.22.168 under Linux/UNIX
Type the following host command:
$ host ip-address-here
$ host 22.214.171.124
126.96.36.199.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer cyberciti.org.
In this example output, IP 188.8.131.52 is reverse mapped to cyberciti.org. Here is another reverse lookups done using dig command:
$ dig -x ip-address-here
$ dig -x 184.108.40.206
; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> -x 220.127.116.11 ;; global options: +cmd ;; Got answer: ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 39113 ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0 ;; QUESTION SECTION: ;18.104.22.168.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR ;; ANSWER SECTION: 22.214.171.124.in-addr.arpa. 20975 IN PTR www.cyberciti.biz. ;; Query time: 32 msec ;; SERVER: 126.96.36.199#53(188.8.131.52) ;; WHEN: Sat Feb 8 04:40:28 2014 ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 76
Hiding additional display info while doing reverse ip lookup using dig command
You can only display the answer section of a reply with +answer option and clear all other display info with +noall option as follow:
dig +noall +answer -x 184.108.40.206
220.127.116.11.in-addr.arpa. 80127 IN PTR www.cyberciti.biz.
Task: Find Reverse DNS for IP 18.104.22.168 under Linux/UNIX/Windows
nslookup works under Windows and UNIX like oses:
Server: 22.214.171.124 Address: 126.96.36.199#53 Non-authoritative answer: 188.8.131.52.in-addr.arpa name = cyberciti.org. Authoritative answers can be found from:
Demo: Reverse IP lookup on Linux, Unix, OS X and MS-WindowsTwitterFacebookGoogle+PDF versionFound an error/typo on this page? Help us!
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop