Q. How do I use Linux as file server? I have 50 Windows XP workstations and 30 Linux/UNIX workstations? I am using Fedora Core Linux 6.
A. For Windows XP workstations use samba server and for Linux/UNIX workstation use NFS server.
How do I use samba as file server?
Samba is a free software re-implementation of SMB/CIFS networking. Windows XP/2000 use samba as file server. It runs on both Linux and UNIX oses.
First install samba on Linux using yum command:
# yum install samba samba-client samba-common
# chkconfig smb --level 345 on
# chkconfig smb on
# /etc/init.d/smb start
Please refer samba configuration how to collection for configuration options.
How do I use NFS as file server?
Network File System (NFS), a protocol originally developed by Sun Microsystems in 1984. NFS server use to share files and directories from Linux system to rest of UNIX/Linux and Windows (using MS- UNIX services or third party tools) workstation.
First install NFS on Linux using yum command:
# yum install nfslock portmap nfs
NFS configuration steps
1. the server implements NFS daemon processes (running by default as nfsd) in order to make its data generically available to clients
2. the server configuration determines what to make available, exporting the names and parameters of directories (typically using the /etc/exports configuration file and the exportfs command)
3. the server security-administration ensures that it can recognize and approve validated clients
4. the server network configuration ensures that appropriate clients can negotiate with it through any firewall system
. the client machine requests access to exported data, typically by issuing a mount command
6. if all goes well, users on the client machine can then view and interact with mounted filesystems on the server within the parameters permitted
Please refer NFS configuration howto for more information.Tweet itFacebook itG+ itDownload PDF versionFound an error/typo on this page?
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop