Q. How do I know what packages are available to be updated on my FreeBSD Server system? How do I list all outdated packages under FreeBSD / OpenBSD operating system?
A. Use the pkg_version command which is used to produce a report of software packages installed using the pkg_add command (ports).
Each package name is printed, along with a one-character status flag. Following is the list of all valid status flags:
- = The installed version of the package is current.
- < The installed version of the package is older than the current version.
- > The installed version of the package is newer than the current version. This situation can arise with an out-of-date index file, or when testing new ports.
- ? The installed package does not appear in the index. This could be due to an out of date index or a package taken from a PR that has not yet been committed.
- * There are multiple versions of a particular software package listed in the index file.
- ! The installed package exists in the index but for some reason, pkg_version was unable to compare the version number of the installed package with the corresponding entry in the index.
List all FreeBSD / OpenBSD outdated package
# pkg_version -vIL=
bash-3.2.25 < needs updating (index has 3.2.33) bind94-126.96.36.199 < needs updating (index has 9.4.2_1) lynx-2.8.5_2 < needs updating (index has 188.8.131.52_2,1) ruby-184.108.40.206,1 < needs updating (index has 220.127.116.11_1,1) vim-lite-7.1.145 < needs updating (index has 7.1.175)
How do I update outdated packages?
See How to: FreeBSD update software and apply security patch.TwitterFacebookGoogle+PDF versionFound an error/typo on this page? Help us!
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop