|Requirements||OpenSHOT + Python, and |
Python multimedia framework (mlt)
|Estimated completion time||N/A|
You can easily combine multiple video clips, audio clips, and images into a single project, and then export the video into many common video formats. You can create a DVD or HD videos for web. From the man page:
OpenShot is a non-linear video editor, which means any frame of video can be accessed at any time, and thus the video clips can be layered, mixed, and arranged in very creative ways. All video clip edits (trimming, cutting, etc...) are non-destructive, meaning that the original video clips are never modified.
You can use OpenShot to create photo slide shows, edit home videos, create television commercials and on-line films, or anything else you can dream up.
OpenSHOT Software features
- Multiple tracks (layers)
- Compositing, image overlays, and watermarks
- Support for image sequences (rotoscoping)
- Key-frame animation
- Video and audio effects (chroma-key)
- Transitions (lumas and masks)
- 3D animation (titles and physics simulations)
- Chroma key (green screen & blue screen)
- Transcode (convert video encodings)
- Upload videos in HD/SD formats to YouTube and/o Vimeo.
You can use apt-get command to install the stable release. This method is recommended for all new users:
$ sudo apt-get install openshot
This command will install version 1.1.3-1 under Debian Linux v.6.x. If you are using Debian testing you will get v1.4.2-1. You may get the latest version with Ubuntu Linux v12.10. I also recommend that you install inkscape an SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) editing program. OpenSHOT will use inkscape to edit titles:
$ sudo apt-get install inkscape
Ubuntu PPA installation
Ubuntu Linux version 9.10 (Karmic) and above user can simply type the following command to install the latest version:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jonoomph/openshot-edge
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install openshot openshot-doc
Install latest stable .deb files directly from openshot.org/launchpad.net
Visit this page to grab the latest version in .deb format. Or type the following wget command to grab the same. This method is recommended for advanced users who wish to use latest features.
$ cd /tmp
$ wget https://launchpad.net/openshot/1.4/1.4.3/+download/openshot_1.4.3-1_all.deb
$ wget https://launchpad.net/openshot/1.4/1.4.3/+download/openshot-doc_1.4.3-1_all.deb
First, you must install python-mlt2 and mlt packages:
$ sudo apt-get install python-mlt2 mlt inkscape
Type the following command to install dpkg
$ sudo dpkg -i openshot_1.4.3-1_all.deb
$ sudo dpkg -i openshot-doc_1.4.3-1_all.deb
Install latest version of blender
You need to install the latest version of blender the open source, cross platform suite of tools for 3D creation. OpenSHOT program uses blender to create animated title effects. Visit this page to grab the latest version of blender program:
$ cd /tmp
$ wget http://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.64/blender-2.64a-linux-glibc27-x86_64.tar.bz2
To install blender, enter:
$ sudo tar xvf blender-2.64a-linux-glibc27-x86_64.tar.bz2 -C /usr/local
$ cd /usr/local
$ sudo ln -s blender-2.64a-linux-glibc27-x86_64/ blender
### Test installation ##
How do I launch OpenShot video editor?
Visit Applications menu and click on:
Choose Sound & Video > OpenShot Video Editor
To start OpenShot from a command line, launch a Terminal and type the following command, then press [Enter] key:
openshot openshot & openshot [filename]
This video was created using OpenSHOT software.
You can try and install OpenSHOT using LiveCD on any computer. I recommend:
- Ubuntu studio - A version of Ubuntu that is aimed at the GNU/Linux audio, video and graphic enthusiast as well as professional. It provides a collection of open-source software including OpenSHOT.
- AV Linux Live DVD -AV Linux is a custom shop modded and rodded 32bit Linux based Operating System built from a hand-picked selection of available tools including Debian/GNU Linux, the LXDE Desktop Environment and Remastersys.
- Top 5 Linux Video Editors
- OpenSHOT project home page.
- Inkscape project home page.
- Blender project home page.
Editor's note: Stay tuned for the tutorial on how to create and edit videos using OpenSHOT (rss).TwitterFacebookGoogle+PDF versionFound an error/typo on this page? Help us!
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop