Q. How do I mount CDROM media under HP-UX UNIX System from a shell prompt? How do I automount CDFS file system using /etc/fstab file?
A. You need to use standard mount command to mount the CD (data CD or ISO9600 format cd). You must login as the root user to perform following operations.
Step # 1: Find CDROM device name
Ypu need to use ioscan command to find out the block device file name located at /dev/dsk directory. Without the block device name, you will not able to use CDROM. Type the following command to view CD-ROM device name:
# isoscan -funC disk
- -F : Generate a full listing, displaying the module's class, instance number, hardware path, driver, software state, hardware type, and a brief description.
- -u : Scan and list usable I/O system devices instead of the actual hardware.
- -n : List device file names in the output. Only special files in the /dev directory and its subdirectories are listed.
- -C disk : Scan the system hardware and list all the devices belonging to the disk device class.
Step # 2: Create a mount point
Next create a mount point for CD-ROM such as /cddisk, enter:
# mkdir /cddisk
Step # 3: Mount the CD
Mount the cd, enter:
# mount -o ro /dev/dsk/cXtYdZ /cddisk
Replace /dev/dsk/cXtYdZ with actual device name such as /dev/dsk/c1t3d0:
# mount -o ro /dev/dsk/c1t3d0 /cddisk
To access file use normal UNIX cd, ls, cp commands, enter:
# cd /cddisk
# cp file /somewhere/else
Step # 4: Update /etc/fstab
Update your /etc/fstab file for automatic mounting, enter:
# vi /etc/fstab
Append following line, enter:
/dev/dsk/c1t3d0 /cddisk cdfs ro 0 0
Save and close the file. Use mountall command to mount all file system listed in /etc/fstab, enter:
Above will mount all unmounted file systems listed in /etc/fstab.
Step # 5: Unmount the CD
To unmount the cd, enter:
# umount /cddisk
- man pages mount, ioscan, mountall
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop