Q. How do I play encrypted DVDs under Ubuntu Linux?
A. You need to install a special library which allows you to play encrypted DVDs under Ubuntu Linux.
In this FAQ you will learn how to use linux command line to install CSS library and DVD playback using open source linux software such as xine.
Ubuntu Linux will not be able to play most of the DVDs out of box. Please read this my article which explains why linux don't support MP3 and DVD out of box.
Now let us see how to configure Ubuntu Linux to play encrypted DVDs .
Most DVDS comes with Content Scramble System (CSS) which is a Digital Rights Management (DRM) scheme. The CSS key sets are licensed to manufacturers who incorporate them into products such as DVD drives, DVD players and DVD movie releases. Most DVD players are equipped with a CSS Decryption module. CSS key is a collective term for authentication key, disc key, player key, title key, second disk key set, and/or encrypted key.
In order to play encrypted DVDs just install CSS library with following linux command
First install open source Linux player such as vlc or xine, mplayer etc using apt-get command:
$ sudo apt-get install vlc xine mplayer libdvdread3
Now install CSS library:
$ sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/examples/install-css.sh
Now you can play DVD by visiting Applications > Sound & Video > Movie Player > Select player menu option.
Updated for accuracy.TwitterFacebookGoogle+PDF versionFound an error/typo on this page? Help us!
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop