Q. I would like to install latest and greatest Mozilla thunderbird mail client under Linux.
How do I download and install the same to read emails?
A. Mozilla’s Thunderbird 2 email application is more powerful than ever. Thunderbird 2 features many new enhancements to help you better manage your unruly inbox, and stay informed. Thunderbird 2 scales to the most sophisticated organizational needs while making it easy to find what you need. It is the best mail/news client with RSS and integrated spam filter support.
Download Thunderbird to your Linux desktop
=> Visit this site to download Thunderbird
Thunderbird 2.0 installation - Just untar file and install it
Let us say you would like to install thunderbird in your own home directory called /home/jerry/. Open X terminal and type following command.
Copy your downloaded file to /home/tom/ and untar it:
$ cp /home/tom/Desktop/thunderbird-220.127.116.11.tar.gz .
$ tar -zxvf thunderbird-18.104.22.168.tar.gz
Now software was installed. To start Thunderbird mail client, enter:
$ cd thunderbird
How do I install thunderbird for everyone?
Install thunderbird in /opt directory. Login as root user:
# cd /opt
# mkdir thunderbird
# cd thunderbird
# cp /home/tom/Desktop/thunderbird-22.214.171.124.tar.gz .
# tar -zxvf thunderbird-126.96.36.199.tar.gz
To start thunderbird, enter:
$ /opt/thunderbird/thunderbird &
How do I create thunderbird icon on my desktop?
Right click on your Linux desktop
Select Create Launcher
Fill the details as follows:
- Set name to : Thunderbird
- Set command to : /opt/thunderbird/thunderbird
- Set comment to : My Email Client
- Hit OK to create an ICON
A note about Ubuntu / Debian Linux user
If you are using Ubuntu / Debian Linux, open terminal and type the following command to install thunderbird:
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install thunderbird
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop