Q. How can I start and stop printer queues for printer called HPLJF2?
A. To stop/start printers and classes queues use enable (to start queue) command. There is also disable command to stop queue.
Linux Printer Control Command names
=> enable or cupsenable: To start the named printers or classes.
=> disable or cupsdisable: To stop the named printers or classes.
Task: Start a print queue
Type the following command to START a print queue for a printer called HPLJF2:
# /usr/bin/enable HPLJF2
Task: Stop a print queue
Type the following command to STOP a print queue for a printer called HPLJF2:
# /usr/bin/disable printer
Please note that use full path name for both commands. Otherwise you will end up running bash internal enable,which is use to enable and disable builtin bash shell commands.
Task: Verify queue is stopped or started
Use lpq command verify the queue is stopped or started:
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop