Q. I’m using Redhat enterprise Linux desktop / workstation operating system with HP laptop. Several Linux distributions have a / script to enable to disable Laptop mode but Redhat misses the script. How do I enable or disable laptop mode on fly?
A. Modern Linux kernel includes very good support for Laptop mode. It is use to control the IO subsystem. When laptop mode is enabled, the Linux will try to be smart about when to do disk I/O. It gives as much time as possible to be in a low power state. If mode is disabled if value is set to zero (0). To enable mode use non zero value such as 5.
Display or print current Laptop mode
Type the following command:
$ cat /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode
Turn on or enable Laptop mode
Type the following command as the root user:
$ sudo echo 5 > /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode
# echo 5 > /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode
A note about Ubuntu Linux
According to this page:
Ubuntu has a laptop-mode-tools package, which is installed by default on laptops. However, laptop mode is disabled by default in Ubuntu Edgy (6.10), because some people have been experiencing hangups with it on certain laptops (mostly Thinkpads). Until now, nobody has any clue what is happening here. To reenable laptop mode, edit /etc/default/acpi-support and set ENABLE_LAPTOP_MODE=true.
If you want to use the latest version of laptop mode tools, you can use the Debian packages, they are compatible enough to work out-of-the-box on Ubuntu.
A note about Suse Linux
=> Suse Linux comes with powersaved tool, so please ignore above commands for power saving.
Updated for accuracy.TwitterFacebookGoogle+PDF versionFound an error/typo on this page? Help us!
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop