Q. Ok, I’ve just order server and they I’ve installed Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 on my server. Now how do I Logging in remotely from my Laptop or desktop system to Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5? Can you tell me commands I need to type? I prefer to use GUI if possible.
A. You need to use ssh client. Your hosting provider must provide you root password.
ssh (SSH client) is a program for logging into a remote machine and for executing commands on a remote machine.
I recommend using ssh as compare to GUI to save both bandwidth and to avoid security related issues.
Using ssh is a piece of cake. Open terminal or use program such as putty and type the following command as shell prompt:
When prompted type the password for root user. Following typical first time session to establish secure connection between your desktop/Laptop and remote Linux server:
$ ssh email@example.com
The authenticity of host 'host51.nixcraft.in (188.8.131.52)' can't be established. RSA key fingerprint is 10:cd:8e:3b:59:e4:3d:4c:e2:08:a6:12:dd:dd:d8:74. Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes Warning: Permanently added 'host51.nixcraft.in' (RSA) to the list of known hosts. firstname.lastname@example.org's password: HIDDEN-PASSWORD Linux host51 2.6.17-11-generic #2 SMP Thu Feb 1 19:52:28 UTC 2007 i686 The programs included with the Ubuntu system are free software; the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright. Ubuntu comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by applicable law. Last login: Mon Apr 9 17:10:27 2007
Now you can type commands such as
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop