If you are planing sale your hard disk or give to some one else, you need wipe all data left on the hard disk / ssd disk. The simplest command to remove everything from Linux hard drive is as follows. Please note that the following commands will remove all data so be careful. You need any one of the following command:
a) dd command - convert and copy a file.
b) shred command (secure wipe+erase) - Overwrite the specified FILE(s) repeatedly, in order to make it harder for even very expensive hardware probing to recover the data.
c) scrub command (secure wipe+erase) - Writes patterns on magnetic media to thwart data recovery.
Method #1: Old good dd command
Use the following dd command to remove data from /dev/hdX:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdX bs=512 count=1
OR for sata disk, use the following syntax:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=512 count=1
In this example, empty sata disk /dev/sdb, enter (you must be login as the root user):
fdisk /dev/sdb dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count=1 fdisk -l /dev/sdb
Method #2: Securely wipe hard disk with shred command
You can use the shred command to securely remove everything so that no one recover any data:
shred -n 5 -vz /dev/sdb
Method #3: Say hello to scrub command
You can also use disk scrubbing program such as scrub. It overwrites hard disks, files, and other devices with repeating patterns intended to make recovering data from these devices more difficult. Type the following command to securely wipe out /dev/sdb:
# scrub -p dod /dev/sdb
See alsoTwitterFacebookGoogle+PDF versionFound an error/typo on this page? Help us!
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop