Q. I forgot my root password, how can I get into my system?
A. You can reset forgotten root password under Linux by booting system into single user mode or emergency mode (also known as rescue mode).
My boot loader is GRUB (see LILO boot loader below)
)Following is the procedure to reset root password if you are using GRUB as a boot loader:
- Select the kernel
- Press the e key to edit the entry
- Select second line (the line starting with the word kernel)
- Press the e key to edit kernel entry so that you can append single user mode
- Append the letter S (or word Single) to the end of the (kernel) line
- Press ENTER key
- Now press the b key to boot the Linux kernel into single user mode
- At prompt type passwd command to reset password:
My boot loader is LILO
At LILO boot loader type linux single and press [ENTER] key:
Boot: linux single
When you get the # prompt you will need to type passwd root to reset password: