I cannot install Apple iTunes software to manage music for my Apple iPod. How do I manage iPod under Ubuntu Linux? What’s the best way to manage my iPod without Apple iTunes software?
iTunes is a free application for Mac and Windows PC. It plays all your digital music and video. However, you can use your iPod under Ubuntu and other Linux distribution. iPod has a file system and you can mount iPod under Linux.
Run iTune Under Linux
You can install iTune application using any one of the following software:
- Virtualbox (free version but proprietary and MS-Windows required) : You can sync using the official iTunes application. Virtualbox is an x86 virtualization software. You also need to install Windows XP or Vista. The full VirtualBox package comes under a proprietary Personal Use and Evaluation License (PUEL), which allows using the software free of charge for personal and educational use and evaluation of the product. Licenses for commercial deployment of the full VirtualBox package can be purchased from Sun. See using iTunes via Sun Virtualbox running Windows tutorial.
- Vmware workstation (proprietary and MS-Windows required) : Vmware workstation is just like Virtualbox software. It is a proprietary software. You also need to install and agree Windows XP / Vista license.
Recommend iTunes Alternatives for iPOD
- gtkpod is a platform independent Graphical User Interface for Apple’s iPod using GTK2. It supports the first to fifth Generation including the iPod mini, iPod Photo, iPod Shuffle, iPod nano, and iPod Video etc.
- Amarok – Supports synchronizing, retrieving, playing, or uploading music to the iPod. Amarok is a music player and organizer.
- Banshee – Allows the transferring of songs, videos, and album art to and from the iPod.
- Songbird – iPod device support via community extension. It is a great music organization tool with a variety of extensions.
However, there is no alternative to iTunes when it comes to syncing with an iPod Touch or iPhone with Firmware 3.0. I recommend either Amarok or Banshee.Share this tutorial on: