ifconfig command does not show IP address on my Linux based laptop computer. How do I fix this problem?
You need to configure your networking. Here are some tips to solve this problem under Linux.
Find out if eth0/wlan0 detected or not...
Is your network card detected by Linux? Run ifconfig command and make sure you can see eth0 or wlan0 as an interface:
Also run the lspci command to list your current wireless and ethernet devices:
If you do not see your card. You need to install the network card driver.
Networking on Linux can be painful, especially in comparison to other operating systems. You can use NetworkManager to configure your wireless or ethernet cards. NetworkManager is configured through graphical interfaces, which are available for GNOME and KDE.
How Do I Use NetworkManager?
You will see applet (computer icon) in the notification area / system tray. Left-click this icon to present the nm-applet pop-up menu. You can see neighboring wireless networks with a broadcasted SSID. You can right click and edit the settings.
A note about the Internet connection...
Is your Internet connection working? Most router will give you an IP address when connected to the Internet via DHCP server. Make sure eth0 or wlan is configured to obtain address automatically using DHCP.
Another option is to set IP address manually:
How do I configure networking manually?
See the following tutorial for more information:
- Debian Linux Configure Network Interface Cards – IP address and Netmasks
- RHEL / Red Hat / CentOS Linux Network Configuration
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop