Q. What is the main advantage of creating soft / hard links to a file instead of copies of the file?
A. To make links between files you use ln command. To copy a file you use cp command. The main advantage is access permission. If you want to change the permissions for a a file called foo, you only have to do it on the original. With copies you have to find all of the copies and change permission on each of the copies.
Other advantages :
[a] Create a shortcut for example /webroot/home/httpd can be soft linked at /home/httpd
[b] Ease of management
[c] Save disk space etc
Please note that the link will show permissions of lrwxrwxrwx but that is for the link itself and not the access to the file.
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop