Both Intel and AMD CPU support virtualization technology which allows multiple operating systems to run simultaneously on an x86 computer in a safe and efficient manner using hardware virtualization. XEN and other virtualization software can use Intel / AMD hardware virtualization for full virtualization. In other words with Intel VT, or AMD-V you can run an unmodified guest OS, like MS-Windows without any problems.
|Requirements||Intel/AMD x86 server|
|Estimated completion time||1m|
Use the following command to verify that if hardware virtualization extensions is enabled or not in your BIOS.
Linux: Verify Intel VT CPU Virtualization Extensions
Type the following command as root to verify that host cpu has support for Intel VT technology, enter:
# grep --color vmx /proc/cpuinfo
If the output has the vmx flags, then Intel CPU host is capable of running hardware virtualization.
Linux: Verify AMD V CPU Virtualization Extensions
Type the following command as root to verify that host cpu has support for AMD - V technology:
# grep --color svm /proc/cpuinfo
Again, the output has the svm flags, then AND CPU host is capable of running hardware virtualization.
Tip # 1: Check Your BIOS Settings
Many, system manufacturers disable AMD or Intel virtualization technology in the BIOS by default. You need to reboot the system and turn it in the BIOS.
Tip # 2: XEN Kernel
By default, if you booted into XEN kernel it will not display svm or vmx flag using the grep command. To see if it is enabled or not from xen, enter:
You must see hvm flags in the output. If not reboot the box and set Virtualization in the BIOS.
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop