How do I login over ssh without using password less RSA / DSA public keys? How do I use ssh in a shell script? How do I login non-interactivly performing password authentication with SSH and shell scripts?
You can use sshpass command to provide password for ssh based login. From the man page:
sshpass is a utility designed for running ssh using the mode referred to as "keyboard-interactive" password authentication, but in non-interactive mode.
ssh uses direct TTY access to make sure that the password is indeed issued by an interactive keyboard user. Sshpass runs ssh in a dedicated tty, fooling it into thinking it is getting the password from an interactive user.
The command to run is specified after sshpass' own options. Typically it will be "ssh" with arguments, but it can just as well be any other command. The password prompt used by ssh is, however, currently hardcoded into sshpass.
Install sshpass under Debian / Ubuntu Linux
Type the following command:
$ sudo apt-get install sshpass
How do I use sshpass?
Login to ssh server called server.example.com with password called t@uyM59bQ:
$ sshpass -p 't@uyM59bQ' ssh firstname.lastname@example.org
Under shell script you may need to disable host key checking:
$ sshpass -p 't@uyM59bQ' ssh -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no email@example.com
How do I backup /var/www/html using rsync?
Run rsync over SSH using password authentication, passing the password on the command line:
$ rsync --rsh="sshpass -p myPassword ssh -l username" server.example.com:/var/www/html/ /backup/
Further readings:TwitterFacebookGoogle+PDF versionFound an error/typo on this page? Help us!
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop