Suse Linux is similar to RPM based Linux distro such as RHEL but does not comes with yum command. How do I install a rpm file or packages such as Apache or PHP under Suse Enterprise / OpenSuse Linux?
You need to use YaST (Yet another Setup Tool), in the openSUSE or Suse Enterprise Linux distribution.
Installing RPM In SLES
Simply use the following syntax to install rpm file as root user:
rpm -ivh file.rpm
yast2 -i file.rpm
Installing Binary Packages In SLES
The yum or up2date command can be used to install pakages from RHN or repos. The yast2 command can be used to install binary packages too as follows:
yast2 -i packageName
yast2 -i apache2
yast2 -i php5 php5-curl php5-fastcgi php5-gd php5-mysql php5-openssl php5-pear php5-zlib
Install Packages Using TUI or GUI Tools In SLES
Just type yast or yast2 comamnd to start yast in TUI (text based user interface over ssh session) or GUI mode:
You can now select and install all supported packages. You can use the same system to remove or delete packages.
Installing RPM Files Using KDE GUI
You can install an RPM file in KDE. First, browse to where the RPM is located. Next, right-click the RPM file. From the menu, select ACTIONS, and then INSTALL WITH YAST. You need supply the root password.
Or you can just double click on the RPM file and it will allow you to install the same.Tweet itFacebook itG+ itDownload PDF versionFound an error/typo on this page?
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop