Q. How do I change or set a default gateway under OpenBSD operating system?
A. You need to add / edit /etc/mygate file which contains the address of the gateway host / router. The gateway is added to the routing tables by the route utility while booting the system.
The file may contain gateway addresses for both IPv4 and IPv6 networks: in dotted quad notation for IPv4 (e.g. 192.168.1.254) or in colon notation for IPv6 (e.g. 2001:1234:5678::1). Each address must be specified on a separate line (new line). If more than one address of a specific family is found, only the first is used - all other addresses of that family are ignored.
/etc/mygate is processed after all interfaces have been configured. If any hostname.iface files contain dhcp directives, IPv4 entries in /etc/mygate will be ignored. If they contain rtsol directives, IPv6 entries will be ignored.
View Current Routing Table
Type the following commands to view current routing table:
# route show
# route -n show
# netstat -r
Change or Add Gateway IP address
Open /etc/mygate file:
# vi /etc/mygate
Append / modify new IP:
Save and close the file.
Add route from a command prompt
Adding routes is very simple with the "route add" command. All you need to know is the network block you want to route, the netmask for that block, and the IP address you want them routed to:
# route add 192.168.1.0 -netmask 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.254
OpenBSD delete Route
Type the following command:
# route delete 192.168.1.0 -netmask 255.255.255.0
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop