Q: I think I am missing some driver or my initial ramdisk is corrupted for running kernel how do I Rebuild the initial ramdisk image under Linux?
A: You need ramdisk if you have added new hardware devices such as SCSI or FibreChannel controller to your server as the ramdisk contains the necessary modules (i.e. drivers) to initialize hardware driver. If you modified the /etc/modprob.conf (or modules.conf) file then you need to execute special script called mkinitrd.
The mkinitrd script constructs a directory structure that can serve as an initrd root file system. It then generates an image containing that directory structure using mkcramfs, which can be loaded using the initrd mechanism. The kernel modules for the specified kernel version will be placed in the directory structure. If version is omitted, it defaults to the version of the kernel that is currently running.
Find out your kernel version:
# uname -r
Make backup of existing ram disk:
# cp /boot/initrd.$(uname -r).img /root
To create initial ramdisk image type following command as the root user:
# mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)
# ls -l /boot/initrd.$(uname -r).img
You may need to modify grub.conf to point out to correct ramdisk image, make sure following line existing in grub.conf file:
When the system boots using an initrd image created by mkinitrd command, the linuxrc will wait for an amount of time which is configured through mkinitrd.conf, during which it may be interrupted by pressing ENTER. After that, the modules specified in will be loaded.
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop