CentOS 7 / RHEL 7 / Fedora Linux (many other modern distor) uses Systemd. It is a system and service manager for Linux operating systems. In newer distro such as CentOS7/RHEL7 systemd replaces Upstart as the default init system.
Fedora Linux latest
|Estimated completion time||2m|
In older versions of CentOS or Red Hat Enterprise Linux, you used init scripts located in the /etc/rc.d/init.d/ directory. These init scripts were typically written in Bash, and allowed the system administrator to control the state of services and daemons in their system. In CentOS/RHEL 7, these init scripts have been replaced with service units.
CentOS 7 / RHEL 7 networking service name
To bring up/down networking service you need to use the network.service.
Say hello to systemctl command
Use this command to control the systemd system and act as a service manager.
CentOS 7 / RHEL 7 get status of network service
sudo systemctl status network.service
sudo systemctl status network
CentOS 7 / RHEL 7 restart network service
sudo systemctl restart network.service
sudo systemctl restart network
CentOS 7 / RHEL 7 start network service
sudo systemctl start network.service
sudo systemctl start network
CentOS 7 / RHEL 7 stop network service
sudo systemctl stop network.service
sudo systemctl stop network
A note about old service and chkconfig command
The service and chkconfig commands are still available in the system and work as expected, but are only included for compatibility reasons and should be avoided as may be dropped in future release.Tweet itFacebook itG+ itDownload PDF versionFound an error/typo on this page?
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop