I'm trying to install all the default packages by group using 'yum groupinstall groupname' command under RHEL v5.x. But, grouplist, groupinstall, and groupdelete options are not working with yum. How do I fix this issue and make sure yum command works with software groups under Redhat Enterprise Linux to increase my productivity?
You need to install a package called yum-utils. It is a collection of utilities and examples for the yum package manager. It includes utilities by different authors that make yum easier and more powerful to use. These tools include: debuginfo-install, package-cleanup, repoclosure, repodiff, repo-graph, repomanage, repoquery, repo-rss, reposync,
repotrack, verifytree, yum-builddep, yum-complete-transaction, yumdownloader, yum-debug-dump and yum-groups-manager.
Type the following command:
# yum install yum-utils
To list software groups enter:
# yum grouplist
Loaded plugins: rhnplugin, security Setting up Group Process Installed Groups: Engineering and Scientific Graphics Network Servers System Tools Available Groups: Administration Tools Authoring and Publishing Development Tools Editors Educational Software FTP Server Fedora Packager GNOME Desktop Environment GNOME Software Development Games and Entertainment Graphical Internet Hardware Support KDE (K Desktop Environment) KDE Software Development Mail Server News Server Office/Productivity Sound and Video Text-based Internet Web Development Web Server Window Managers X Window System Done
To install "Web server" group, enter:
# yum groupinstall "Web server"
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop