Q. How do I setup Ubuntu Linux system time using Network Time Protocol (NTP)? Do I need to install ntp server?
A. No you don't have to install NTP server. All you have to do is install simple client called ntpdate. ntpdate sets the local date and time by polling the Network Time Protocol (NTP) server(s) given as the server arguments to determine the correct time. It must be run as root on the local host.
A number of samples are obtained from each of the servers specified and a subset of the NTP clock filter and selection algorithms are applied to select the best of these. Note that the accuracy and reliability of ntpdate depends on the number of servers, the number of polls each time it is run and the interval between runs.
Please note that ntpdate will decline to set the date if an NTP server daemon (ntpd) is running on the same host. When running ntpdate on a regular basis from cron as an alternative to running a daemon, doing so once every hour or two will result in precise enough timekeeping to avoid stepping the clock.
Install ntpdate client
$ sudo apt-get install ntpdate
ntpdate will automatically run when your network interface get activated by system (i.e. while booting Ubuntu Linux sever/desktop system) . Ubuntu Linux stores script at /etc/network/if-up.d/ntpdate location.
If you wish to just run script again just type command:
$ sudo /etc/network/if-up.d/ntpdate
$ sudo ntpdate pool.ntp.org
Install as cronjob
To avoid stepping the clock you must run ntpdate every 1 or 2 hours using cronjob:
Now add hourly job:
Save and close the file.TwitterFacebookGoogle+PDF versionFound an error/typo on this page? Help us!
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop