Q. I was referring to your Squid transparent proxy configuration howto, and my question to you - can proxy authentication be done in transparent mode?
A. Short answer: noop, you cannot use Squid proxy authentication in transparent mode.
From official squid docs:
Authentication cannot be used in a transparently intercepting proxy as the client then thinks it is talking to an origin server and not the proxy. This is a limitation of bending the TCP/IP protocol to transparently intercepting port 80, not a limitation in Squid.
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop