to use the dpkg command, which is a package manager from shell/command prompt for Debian and Ubuntu Linux. You can use this tool to install, build, remove and manage packages. dpkg itself is controlled entirely via command line parameters.
The syntax is as follows:
dpkg -i package-name-here.deb dpkg --install package-name-here.deb dpkg -i -R /path/to/dir/name/with/lots/of/dot-deb-files/ dpkg -i --recursive /path/to/dir/name/with/lots/of/dot-deb-files/
- -i or --install : Install the package.
- -R or --recursive : Recursively installed all *.deb files found at specified directories and all of its sub-directories. /path/to/dir/name/with/lots/of/dot-deb-files/ must refer to a directory instead of package-name-here.deb file name.
How do I install .deb file?
To install a single package file called /tmp/package.deb type the following commands. Open a terminal and then cd to directory where package.deb is kept. In this example, package.deb is kept in /tmp directory:
$ cd /tmp
Type the following command to install the package:
$ sudo dpkg -i package.deb
# dpkg -i package.deb
Install all packages from /nfs/pkgs/ubuntu-builds directory
Recursively handle and install all regular files matching pattern *.deb found at /nfs/pkgs/ubuntu-builds/ directory and all of its subdirectories, type:
$ sudo dpkg -i -R /nfs/pkgs/ubuntu-builds/
# dpkg -i -R /nfs/pkgs/ubuntu-builds/
- dpkg Command Cheat Sheet
- See man pages for more information - dpkg(1), apt-get(8), aptitude(1), deb(5)
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop