Q. I have just installed Ubuntu 6.06 and I would like to allow remote login to my system from home via ssh. How do I install and configure SSH server?
A. OpenSSH is a FREE version of the SSH connectivity tools that technical users of the Internet rely on. Users of telnet, rlogin, and ftp may not realize that their password is transmitted across the Internet unencrypted, but it is. OpenSSH encrypts all traffic (including passwords) to effectively eliminate eavesdropping, connection hijacking, and other attacks. Additionally, OpenSSH provides secure tunneling capabilities and several authentication methods, and supports all SSH protocol versions.
Ubuntu SSHD Installation
Type the following two command to install both ssh client and server:
# sudo apt-get install openssh-server openssh-client
To be frank your server is ready by default. Just test it from your home computer or from same system with the command:
# ssh localhost
# ssh user@your-server-ip-address
How do I use ssh client?
Assuming that your server hostname is userver.mydomain.com and username is vivek, you need to type the following command:
# ssh email@example.com
To stop ssh server, enter:
# sudo /etc/init.d/ssh stop
To start sshs server, enter:
# sudo /etc/init.d/ssh start
To restart ssh server, enter:
# sudo /etc/init.d/ssh restart
- Setup SSH to run on a non-standard port
- SSH Public key based authentication - How-to?
- How to force sshd server to display login banner before login (change the ssh server [sshd] login banner)?
- Read the man page of sshd, sshd_config for more information
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop