Can you explain me UNIX shell? What are Shells?
A shell is nothing but the interface between UNIX / Linux and the user (i.e. you).
The shell phrases commands (the text you type) and send those to UNIX / Linux / BSD operating system to take an appropriate action.
For e.g. to see current date you type the command:
You shell will interpret the date command and sends request to operating system. Operating system will read actual date and display back on screen. A shell can be defined as follows:
A Unix shell is a command-line interpreter that provides a traditional user interface for the Unix / Linux / BSD operating systems.
A lot of everyday work is done in a command line using a shell.
It will take commands from the input channel (keyboard) and execute them. A lot of UNIX shells also have been created to help with everyday tasks such as file management, file globbing and so on.
Most UNIX like operating systems comes with a set of shells, such as sh, the Bourne Shell, and tcsh, the improved C-shell, bash and so on.
Shell As A Programming Language
A shell can also serve as a programming language. You can put all commands into a single text file and execute as a shell script. A sample shell script:
#!/bin/sh echo "Today is `date`" echo "Currently logged in users" who echo "Currently running process" ps aux
Which Shell Do You Recommend?
It is really a matter of taste and personal choice. For e.g, if you are a C programmer you might feel more comfortable with a C-like shell such as csh or tcsh. Most new users especially with Linux background may like bash.
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop