Make sure snmp server is working. Without proper working snmp server, mrtg will not work. Therefore, first step is making sure snmp up and running. Following steps will take you gradually to configure it.
- Step # 1: Make sure snmp server installed
- Step # 2: Determine if snmp server is running or not
- Step # 3 Make sure snmp server configured properly
- Step # 4 Install mrtg if not installed
- Step # 5 Configure mrtg
- Step # 6 First test run of mrtg
- Step # 7: Create crontab entry so that mrtg graph / images get generated every 5 minutes
- Step # 8: Block ports 161, 162 udp at firewall.
- Step # 9: Optional protect your MRTG graphs/html pages with password protected directory