You can display man pages in colors. Similarly, you can display info pages in colors. The info command is used under Linux or Unix to read multipage documentation and act as help viewer working on a command line interface, useful when there is no GUI available on the server. The info command processes info files. All info files are are in Texinfo format. You get the documentation tree. pinfo is a little known tool that can display info pages in colors.
Type the following apt-get command to install the pinfo under Debian / Ubuntu Linux, enter:
# apt-get install pinfo
Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done The following NEW packages will be installed: pinfo 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 12 not upgraded. Need to get 90.0 kB of archives. After this operation, 381 kB of additional disk space will be used. Get:1 http://debian.osuosl.org/debian/ squeeze/main pinfo amd64 0.6.9-5 [90.0 kB] Fetched 90.0 kB in 1s (58.7 kB/s) Selecting previously deselected package pinfo. (Reading database ... 255859 files and directories currently installed.) Unpacking pinfo (from .../pinfo_0.6.9-5_amd64.deb) ...
FreeBSD unix user can use the port as follows install the same:
# cd /usr/ports/misc/pinfo/ && make install clean
How do I use pinfo command?
The syntax is as follows:
pinfo page pinfo command
To read bash info page, enter:
$ info bash
To read bash info page using pinfo viewer, enter:
$ pinfo bash
You can use the following keys to move between various pages:
- n goes to the next page.
- p goes to the previous page.
- u goes to the upper page.
- To follow a cross reference, the cursor can be moved over a link (a word preceded by a *) and enter pressed.
- q exit pinfo.
pinfo has many options, see man page for more information:
$ man pinfo
$ pinfo pinfo
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop