Fsh is an entertaining interactive desktop aquarium. It was created as an alternative to Gnome easter egg called "Free the fish" for other operating systems.
Original gnome desktop easter egg
- Type alt + f2
- Type free the fish
- Press [Enter] key.
To kill fish type alt + f2 and type command:
Say hello to Fsh
From the project home page:
Fsh was created because I wanted fish on my desktop. I have a coworker running Linux, and there's a feature (freethefish) that lets you have a fish swimming around on your desktop. I'm running Windows, so obviously, if I wanted a fish, I was going to have to do it myself.
Since then, fsh has added a number of features. You can have basic fsh, ninja fsh, invisible ninja fsh, sharks, laser sharks and barracuda. Sharks will eat anything except other sharks, while barracuda will eat basic and ninja fsh. Ninja fsh take the fight to the predators, and actively hunt down sharks and barracuda. Laser sharks will shoot at anything they can eat once it lines up with their laser.
You can customize how many of each fsh you get, along with a number of other parameters (like whether predators eat or just kill, whether to show blood on kills, etc) using the fshConfig program.
How do I install Fsh?
Type the following wget command to grab fsh:
$ wget http://nchc.dl.sourceforge.net/project/fsh/fsh.jar
--2012-09-09 10:54:31-- http://nchc.dl.sourceforge.net/project/fsh/fsh.jar Resolving nchc.dl.sourceforge.net... 188.8.131.52, 2001:e10:ffff:1f02::17 Connecting to nchc.dl.sourceforge.net|184.108.40.206|:80... connected. HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK Length: 122216 (119K) [application/java-archive] Saving to: `fsh.jar' 100%[==========================================================>] 1,22,216 176K/s in 0.7s 2012-09-09 10:54:32 (176 KB/s) - `fsh.jar' saved [122216/122216]
How do I run Fsh?
You need java to run fsh. See how to install and configure java. Type the following command to run fsh:
$ java -jar fsh.jar
You can download Fsh by visiting this page. If you enjoyed this desktop fun app, you may also like to use the following apps on Linux:
- Terminal ASCII Aquarium
- Run Steam Locomotive On Your Desktop
- Let it Snow On Your Desktop
- Summon Swarms Of Penguins To Waddle About The Desktop
- Text Mode Box and Comment Drawing
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop