Goldendict is a cross-platform (Linux/Unix/MS-Windows/Apple OS X) and dictionary lookup app written in QT. This application support of multiple dictionary file formats. The program can search Wikipedia, Wiktionary, or any other MediaWiki based sites to perform lookups. You can listen to pronunciations for any word or setup text to speech to read out pronunciations. The dictionary also provides word stemming and spelling suggestions. You can also use this program to find out translations of words and phrases for different languages. A commercial mobile version is also available for Android based devices.
You need to install the following two packages:
[a] goldendict - a feature-rich dictionary lookup program.
[b] goldendict-wordnet - electronic lexical database of English language for dict.
Type the following command under Ubuntu / Debian Linux:
$ sudo apt-get install goldendict goldendict-wordnet
Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done The following NEW packages will be installed: goldendict goldendict-wordnet 0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 7 not upgraded. Need to get 18.1 MB of archives. After this operation, 19.8 MB of additional disk space will be used. Get:1 http://mirror.anl.gov/debian/ squeeze/main goldendict amd64 0.9.1~git20100719-2 [1,063 kB] Get:2 http://mirror.anl.gov/debian/ squeeze/main goldendict-wordnet all 1:3.0-24 [17.0 MB] Fetched 17.2 MB in 52s (330 kB/s) Selecting previously deselected package goldendict. (Reading database ... 327779 files and directories currently installed.) Unpacking goldendict (from .../goldendict_0.9.1~git20100719-2_amd64.deb) ... Selecting previously deselected package goldendict-wordnet. Unpacking goldendict-wordnet (from .../goldendict-wordnet_1%3a3.0-24_all.deb) ... Processing triggers for man-db ... Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ... Processing triggers for gnome-menus ... Processing triggers for menu ... Setting up goldendict (0.9.1~git20100719-2) ... Setting up goldendict-wordnet (1:3.0-24) ... Processing triggers for menu ...
How do I use goldendict?
Type the following command:
Or visit the menu option:
Applications > Education > GoldenDict
Lookup a word called 'panoply':
You can also select any word and the app will match current selection as follows (know as popup scan) to display more information about selected word:
To setup dictionary and other options, Click on Edit > Preferences or Edit > Dictionary to setup options:
You can grab this tool from the following url:
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop