Oneko is a little fun app. It will change your cursor into mouse and creates a little cute cat and the cat start chasing around your mouse cursor. The word "neko" means "cat" in Japanese and it was originally written by a Japanese author as a Macintosh desktop accessory.
Type the following command:
$ sudo apt-get install oneko
Sample outputs: [sudo] password for vivek: Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done The following NEW packages will be installed: oneko 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 10 not upgraded. Need to get 38.6 kB of archives. After this operation, 168 kB of additional disk space will be used. Get:1 http://debian.osuosl.org/debian/ squeeze/main oneko amd64 1.2.sakura.6-7 [38.6 kB] Fetched 38.6 kB in 1s (25.9 kB/s) Selecting previously deselected package oneko. (Reading database ... 274152 files and directories currently installed.) Unpacking oneko (from .../oneko_1.2.sakura.6-7_amd64.deb) ... Processing triggers for menu ... Processing triggers for man-db ... Setting up oneko (1.2.sakura.6-7) ... Processing triggers for menu ...
FreeBSD unix user type the following command to install oneko:
# cd /usr/ports/games/oneko
# make install clean
How do I use oneko?
Simply type the following command:
You can make cat into "tora-neko", a cat wite tiger-like stripe:
$ oneko -tora
Not a cat person?
You can run a dog instead of a cat:
$ oneko -dog
The followin will runs Sakura Kinomoto instead of a cat:
$ oneko -sakura
Runs Tomoyo Daidouji instead of a cat:
$ oneko -tomoyo
Check out related media
This tutorial also available in video format:
You can pass the following options:
- -tofocus : Makes cat run to and on top of focus window. When focus window is not in sight, cat chases mouse as usually.
- -position geometry : Specify X and Y offsets in pixels to adjust position of cat relative to mouse pointer./li>
- -rv : Reverse background color and foreground color.
- -fg color : Foreground color (e.g., oneko -dog -fg red).
- -bg color : Background color (e.g., oneko -dog -bg green).
- See oneko man page for more information.
If you enjoyed this desktop fun app, you may also like to use the following apps on Linux:
- Terminal ASCII Aquarium
- Run Steam Locomotive On Your Desktop
- Let it Snow On Your Desktop
- Summon Swarms Of Penguins To Waddle About The Desktop
- Text Mode Box and Comment Drawing
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop