Recently I was doing some consultancy work and they need to authenticate users using Active Directory service. However you need to compile Apache web server to add LDAP bindings. Apache LDAP allows an LDAP directory to be used to store the database for HTTP Basic authentication.
Next load LDAP module, configure directory security and you are done.
You don't have to install and use samba package :)
There is a good howto that explains configuration parameters and other stuff.
How to Configure Apache Authentication with Active Directory
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop