You can now easily determine if your ISP throttling and shaping Bittorrent traffi with simple online tool.
From the project web page:
Certain ISPs have been shown to rate limit or block BitTorrent traffic sent by their customers. While there are multiple reports of this on the web, only a few ISPs have admitted that they manipulate BitTorrent traffic. And, to date, it is hard for users without networking expertise to gain evidence about the behavior of their ISP.
This test suite creates a BitTorrent-like transfer between your machine and our server, and determines whether or not your ISP is limiting such traffic. This is a first step towards making traffic manipulation by ISPs more transparent to their customers.
You can also load this tool on your own server or laptop computer running Apache and PHP 4.3 or above:
$ cd /var/www/
$ sudo apt-get install libpcap0.8 libpcap0.8-dev
$ wget http://broadband.mpi-sws.mpg.de/transparency/glasnost-1.1.tgz
$ tar -zxvf glasnost-1.1.tgz
$ cd glasnost
$ su -c "chmod a+s bt_client"
$ mkdir logs
$ chmod 0777 logs
Fire a web browser and type http://localhost/glasnost/selftest.php or http://your-domain.com/glasnost/selftest.php
Updated for accuracy!TwitterFacebookGoogle+PDF versionFound an error/typo on this page? Help us!
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop