This tip is submitted by RDK.
You can use Nautilus drag and drop feature to create and burn data CDs. Same way you can use Nautilus, which is the file manager for the UNIX/Linux GNOME desktop systems. Nautilus not only supports browsing local filesystems, it also provides access to FTP sites, Windows SMB shares, WebDAV servers and SFTP servers via GNOME VFS.
Nautilus supports previews of files in their icons, be they text files, images, sound or video files via thumbnailers such as Totem.
To browse your Samba or MS Windows shares open Nautilus manager, and type the following in the address bar:
- delta: is a server (Samba or Windows) name
- mp3: share name you trying to access
If your system account (login name) is not configured properly, you may be prompted for your Windows or Samba username and password. Once you are authenticated you will be able to browse your shares.
How do I browser a samba / windows share from a command prompt?
If you don't have GUI installed but you would like to browse a samba share from a command prompt (w/o GUI) or terminal window (X-term), use smbclient command. Make sure you have the samba-client package installed.
Type the following command:
$ smbclient //delta//mp3 -U myUsername
Once authenticated you will see smb: \> prompt. Use ls and other command to browse your share. Type help at the command prompt for the commands available.
smb: \> ls
smb: \> get file.name
smb: \> help
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop